Vineyard Villa— a historic estate in Sonoma, California
Vineyard Villa History
1883 - Auguste and Phillipina Rouquie opened a family resort 2-1/ blocks from the Vineyard Railway station. It was among the first resorts in the Sonoma Valley. The two-story main residential building of Vineyard Villa now exists only in photographs. The hotel featured a large painted sign on the gable roof that read ‘Vineyard Villa’.
1912 - The Bungalow was built. Auguste and Philipina Rouquie retired from running the resort, deeding the parcel to their son-Louis and daughter-in- law Anna, who had been helping them run the business for years. Auguste and Philipina lived in the cottage at 740 Napa Road while a new house was constructed for them across the street.
1937 - The Vineyard Villa resort building was taken down by Louis Rouquie. The bungalow was constructed the same year from the materials salvaged from the demolition of the resort. Today, little else remains to commemorate the colorful French family resorts. The cottage at 740 Napa Road is one of the only buildings on the property that exists from the resort period.